Academic WorldQuest is an exciting global trivia competition! Any Hawaiʻi high school student is eligible to compete as part of a team of four students from their school. The Hawaiʻi Regional Competition and grand prize is generously sponored by the Mamoru and Aiko Takitani Foundation.
The Hawaiʻi Regional Competition will be hosted on the afternoon of Saturday, March 2, 2024, following PAAC's Spring Global Vision Summit. Teams located on Oahu will compete in person at UH Mānoa, while neighbor island teams will join us to compete virtually. The winning team from Hawaiʻi will win a trip to Washington, D.C. to participate in the National Competition and related events!
This year's regional competition will include SIX categories:
- (1) The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO): Alliance and Collective Defense in a Changing World
- (2) Demographic Dividends – Population Shift in Africa
- (3) The Global South
- (4) Sports and Diplomacy
- (5) Women’s Contributions to Track II Diplomacy
- (6) Navigating AI: The Global Workforce
GRADUATE STUDENT COACHES WANTED: Are you interested in being a part of shaping the futures of young leaders in Hawai’i? PAAC is currently seeking six to twelve graduate students across all disciplines to participate as coaches. Please click here to learn more.
Top-performing teams will be eligible to win prizes at the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition!
The National Competition will be held on April 19-20, 2024. The winning team from Hawaiʻi will win a trip to Washington, D.C. to participate in the National Competition and related events!
Hawaiʻi Regional Competition Prizes
The following prizes will be awarded to the teams with the highest point totals at the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition. Prizes will be awarded in the form of gift cards to support a locally owned business of your choice.
Grand Prize (1st Overall): Trip to Washington, D.C. + Entry to the National Competition!
Runner-Up (2nd Overall): $200
Additionally, a county prize will be awarded to the highest scoring team from each county that does not finish in the top two overall.
Kauai County: $100
Maui County: $100
Hawaii County: $100
Honolulu County: $100
Pictured above is the winning team from Waiakea High School at the National Competition!
How to Participate
* Form a team of four (4) students from your school.
* Review the Study Guide (to be released Fall 2023) and begin preparation. Please note: The study guide includes all ten topics to be covered in the national competition; the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition will include just six. We recommend beginning your study as soon as possible. One strategy often employed by successful teams is that all team members will develop a broad understanding of all categories, then on top of this, each team member will focus on becoming the "expert" on one or two individual categories.
* Complete the full Event Registration (to be opened in Fall 2023). This form will allow you to register for GVS, WorldQuest, or both.
* Join us on March 2, 2024 for the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition!
|Event Registration opens in Fall 2023|