PAAC Clubs 2022-2023
Join or Create a PAAC Club!
PAAC clubs are the best long-term engagement with PAAC programs: an opportunity to get involved and stay involved. Many clubs are student-initiated and driven. The overall goal is to increase club members' awareness of global issues and international affairs. Clubs participate in PAAC-sponsored events such as inter-school conferences and competitions and tailor the program to meet the interests of their club members.
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions about PAAC clubs
What Clubs DO!
1. LEAD Summit Each year our club officers participate in leadership development workshops. The LEAD Summit is a camp/retreat for officers
- 2. Sustainable Development Goals Curriculum: Registered, active clubs can take advantage of our open source curriculum suite on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, which can be implemented through Google Classroom. It encourages students to take the lead in their clubʻs learning!
- 3. Global Vision Summits (GVS): PAAC’s inter-school GVSs tackle some of our most pressing global issues and puts students in the shoes of decision makers. Meet and learn from other students across Hawai‘i and network with well-known speakers and leaders.
- 4. Academic WorldQuest Competition: Academic WorldQuest is a global trivia competition that takes place nationally through the World Affairs Councils of America. The winning team earns a trip to represent Hawaiʻi in the National Competition in Washington, D.C.!
5. Global Action Projects (GAP): Our clubs work to share their global knowledge through local action projects. Whether they are raising awareness, advocating for change, working in service, or fundraising for an important cause, our clubs are action driven. Learn more about our GAPs here. Check our GAP stories: Native Forest Restoration with Sierra Club; PAAC and Sustainable Coastlines; Dangers of Microplastics with UH Hawaiʻi Sea Grant and Hanauma Bay
- 6. Study Tours: PAAC’s international travel program takes students on a trip of a lifetime! Study tours emphasize hands-on learning, building friendships, and taking part in enriching cultural activities. PAAC offers generous scholarships to make this opportunity a possibility. Get your passports ready!
- 7. Virtual Global Engagement: We share with clubs the opportunity to learn from change-makers across the global with our virtual global engagement conversations. See our work in 2021-22 and 2022-23.
PAAC Club Fund
Clubs are eligible to request up to $200 to support Global Action Projects; learn about global issues and/or international affairs; and to increase club membership and participation. Please contact Roya Dennis for more information: email@example.com
Distinguished PAAC Clubs
PAAC challenges its clubs to distinguish themselves by setting goals relating to participation, community impact, and reporting. Clubs that reach any one of the three tiers receive awards and are recognized. This is not a ranking of the "best" clubs; rather, we hope clubs will work together in a spirit of friendly competition and collaboration to reach their club goals.
Check out what our clubs are up to!
Academic Awards & Scholarships
Each year PAAC provides scholarships and awards to our most involved students.
Paul S. Honda Scholarship:
The late Paul S. Honda, a distinguished member of PAAC’s Senior Advisory Council, established an endowment for this scholarship fund to promote Asian Studies and International Studies in higher education. Every academic year, four $1,000 scholarships are given in his name to graduating seniors who have demonstrated a desire to pursue Asian Studies, International Affairs, or a related field at the post-secondary level, and have been actively involved in PAAC.
Eddie Tangen Award:
The legacy of Eddie Tangen, a pioneer in the development of Hawaiʻi’s labor movement and past member of PAAC’s Board of Governors, is honored with a $300 award given yearly in his name to one student in grade 9, 10, or 11 who has demonstrated interest in international affairs and is actively involved in PAAC.
Check out our recipients from Academic Year 2022-2023
OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE HIGH SCHOOL GLOBAL EDUCATION PROGRAM OFFERED SY 2022-23