Academic WorldQuest is an exciting global trivia competition! Any Hawaiʻi high school student is eligible to compete as part of a team of four students from their school. The Hawaiʻi Regional Competition and grand prize is generously sponored by the Mamoru and Aiko Takitani Foundation.
The Hawaiʻi Regional Competition will be hosted on the afternoon of Saturday, February 11, 2023, following PAAC's Spring Global Vision Summit. Teams located on Oahu will compete in person at UH Mānoa, while neighbor island teams will join us to compete virtually. The winning team from Hawaiʻi will win a trip to Washington, D.C. to participate in the National Competition and related events!
This year's competition will include SIX categories:
- (1) Battle of the Century: Autocracy vs. Democracy
- (2) The Future of Supply Chains
- (3) Combating Global Food Insecurity
- (4) Economic Sanctions - A Double-Edged Sword
- (5) Atrocity Prevention and Accountability
- (6) Securing the Future of the World's Wildlife
Top-performing teams will be eligible to win prizes at the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition!
The National Competition will be held on the weekend of April 28-29, 2023. The winning team from Hawaiʻi will win a trip to Washington, D.C. to participate in the National Competition and related events!
Hawaiʻi Regional Competition Prizes
The following prizes will be awarded to the teams with the highest point totals at the Hawaiʻi Regional Compeition. Prizes will be awarded in the form of gift cards to support a locally owned business of your choice.
Grand Prize (1st Overall): Trip to Washington, D.C. + Entry to the National Competition!
Runner-Up (2nd Overall): $200
Additionally, a county prize will be awarded to the highest scoring team from each county that does not finish in the top two overall.
Kauai County: $100
Maui County: $100
Hawaii County: $100
Honolulu County: $100
Pictured above (left and right) is the winning team from Waiakea High School at the National Competition! Also pictured (center) are competitors from St. Andrew's Priory at the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition.
How to Participate
* Form a team of four (4) students from your school.
* Review the Study Guide and begin preparation. Please note: The study guide includes all ten topics to be covered in the national competition; the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition will include just the six listed above. We recommend beginning your study as soon as possible. One strategy often employed by successful teams is that all team members will develop a broad understanding of all categories, then on top of this, each team member will focus on becoming the "expert" on one or two individual categories.
* Complete the full event registration. This form will allow you to register for GVS, WorldQuest, or both.
* Join us on February 11, 2023 for the Hawaiʻi Regional Competition!
|All students please register on the GVS event page today!|